Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas is little Mary Hendricks Chambers. Daughter of Frank and Ida Hendricks Chambers and Grand daughter of Thomas G. Hendricks. Mary was educated at the University of Oregon and lived for some years in France with her family. She later returned to Eugene and lived just one month shy of her 103 birthday.
For years this was Eugene's Library which stood on the S.E. corner of 11th and Willamette. It was a Carnegie Library which like hundreds around the United States was a gift from Industrialist Andrew Carnegie.
This prim beauty used to stand at 377 Broadway now the approximate location of the old IHop. It was probably demolished in the 1950's for the new approach to the Ferry Street Bridge. Too bad it couldn't have been moved.
This Winter Studio photo was taken in the front parlor of the Underwood house in the early 1890's and shows a carefully posed group of early Eugene "elite" attending a musical reception. The interiors of this beautiful mansion were just as exuberantly appointed as its grand exterior.
This great shot shows plainly just how enormous the Underwood House on Willamette Street was. As noted in an earlier post the house stood for many years on the east side of Willamette near the middle of the block across from the current downtown post office. Note the large main block of the house fronting Willamette and then the service wing behind which connected to the carriage house in the back. Connected barns and carriages houses were usually features in New England homes where in-climate weather made getting to out buildings treacherous in the winter months.