Saturday, August 28, 2010
For many years this building which stood on the North West corner of Broadway and Oak (now the site of the Wells Fargo main branch) was the largest commercial structures downtown. Just north of the site can be seen the West Park Block. Out of view to the right was the east Park Block and farther north of that stood the Old County Courthouse until its replacement in 1959 with the current structure. The Park Blocks have for many years been the site of Saturday Market.
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Here is an aeriel view looking north east toward the Coburg Hills of the 1964 Eugene City Hall which replaced the 1915 City Hall featured in the prior post. It is an interesting shot as it shows the 5th Street Market area (upper left) when it was still a warehouse district. Most of the small structures surrounding the City Hall have now been replaced with large office buildings.
Here is a view of the Old Eugene High School of 1906 which stood on the south west corner of 11th and Willamette Streets. (See the first post in this blog) In 1915 the building was turned into the Eugene City Hall with the addition of a large wing to the rear and an entrance portico on the front facing Willamette Street. The building continued to house the city offices until the construction of the current City Hall in 1964. The building was razed soon after and replaced with the current bank building that has occupied the site ever since. At the far left of the photo can be seen part of the old Eugene Hospital and Clinic which is now the Peace Health Willamette Street complex..