The back of this circa 1910 postcard identifies the location as being "Eugene Oregon". Something about the hill in the background makes me think this house might have stood on South Willamette at about 24th and that is College hill behind it? The house is certainly substantial, but certainly not standing any longer if it was in Eugene. Any idea's readers?
An other wonderful old Eugene School building was Patterson, built in 1901 on the northwest corner of 13th and Alder. Named for Dr. Andrew Patterson who along with his duties as an early Physician was also a teacher. In use until 1930 the building was razed circa 1936 to make room for additions to Sacred Heart Hospital who still uses the site as a parking lot in its University District Campus. The current Ida Patterson School is named for Dr. Patterson's daughter, an other long time Eugene Educator.
Named for Dr. Edward Geary, an early Eugene educator, the Geary School built circa 1890 stood on the Northwest corner of 4th and Madison until about 1950 when it was torn down after later serving as The Eugene Vocational School. One of the largest school buildings in Eugene at the time, it stood two stories over a full basement with a large attic gymnasium and a prominent bell tower. The building with it's tasteful Victorian ornamentation was particularly attractive. The property, still owned by the 4J school district houses offices and maintenance buildings.
Still standing today on the Northeast corner of 6th and Lawrence, the Starr house was built circa 1890 by J. Fletcher Starr, co owner of Starr & Griffin Hardware which stood near 8th and Willamette. Housing Cosa Tol Tec, a Mexican restaurant for many years the house now partially restored is home to a software company. The porch shown in this photo from the 1950's is probably a replacement of the original from a circa 1910 remodel.
This house built circa 1890 by George and Phoebe Kinsey was probably built as a income property when first constructed at the northwest corner of 6th and Madison (now the site of Gray's Garden center for many years). The house was moved around the corner to it's present location sometime in the 1920's to clear the corner for a service station. The house was badly neglected for many years. finally being condemned in the early 1970's before it was bought by a young architect and his wife. The house surprising intact was updated where needed and restored where possible. The old carriage house was moved up against the original house adding much needed room for a downstairs bedroom and bathroom. While well maintained for a period in the late 90's early 2000's it is now getting a little rough around the edges again but still basically intact after 120 years.